Monday, March 4, 2013

Have the Egrets returned?

While shooting birds in Audubon Park recently, I spotted four couples of great egrets. It was a welcome and unexpected sight. Until two years ago, the island in Audubon Park lagoon was covered this time of year with nesting egrets. Then a film crew arrived in the park with noise, bustle, and lights to shoot nocturnal scenes for Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, one of the stupidest movies ever made and a well-deserved box office flop. All that commotion disturbed the sleep of the egrets, who apparently decided “there goes the neighborhood” and disappeared overnight. That was in 2011. I hadn’t spotted more than the occasional egret in the park since then and lamented their absence. I am hoping my sighting of the four couples signals a return en masse to their island.

visit my website: sylvainesancton.com

No comments:

Post a Comment